My heritage is of Indonesian Chinese so a lot of Indonesian dishes are very similar to the Malaysian's Nyonya dishes. One of my old time favourite dishes that my mum used to cook at home is this dish. According to my hubby who is a Malaysian Chinese, its very similar to Nyonya style Ayam Pongteh.. so its not exactly the same version but its a mixture of chinese indonesian/malaysian version.. haha.. whatever you want to call it .. but give it a try.. its nice!! *grin**..
Nyonya Style Ayam Pongteh - serves 4
* Half chicken (cut in small parts)
* 4 med size potatoes (cut in big cubes) - preboiled
* 4 full boiled eggs
* 3 cloves of garlic (sliced thinly)
* 3 small red onions (sliced thinly)
* 3 T of Light Soya sauce
* 1 T of Dark Soya sauce
* 4 pcs of cloves
* 1/2 block of chicken maggie
* 1/2 cup of boiled water
* 2 buah keras (kemiri) - blended
* 2 big red chillies ( sliced big)
* 1/2 small tomatoes
* 1 t of sugar
* 1/2 t of white vinegar
* salt / pepper to taste
1) Fry garlic and onions until browned, add chillies & tomatoes and the buah keras, stir fry for 30seconds.
2) Add chicken pieces and stir fry till half brown, add soya sauce, black soya sauce and the rest of the spices ingredients, add eggs, potatoes, stir fry for about 2 minutes.
3) Add water, cover and let it simmer for 15mins.
4) Served with fried shallots and warm steam rice !!
5) Enjoy :)))